Newport Historical Society Announces Newport Eats Food Initiative
Tuesday, January 12, 2016
The Newport Historical Society staff has finished work on a multi-million dollar Resource Center renovation project. The society is working to launch its first initiative of the New Year, Newport Eats.
“Rhode Island is a gastronomic state, and Newport has long been known as a center for fine dining and good food. Newport Eats, our history of food initiative, features programs and exhibits that explore the role of food in Newport’s rich and diverse history. We will be looking at the lived experience of the past through food, and using that information to think about the future as well," said Society's Executive Director Ruth Taylor.
One of the inaugural initiates of Newport Eats is to capture the 21st century food moment. The society is collecting and documenting current menus for restaurants and events to both add to its collection as well as to feature in an upcoming exhibit.
Other aspects of Newport Eats include exploring menus and recipes of the past through a series of recreated culinary events, and putting all of the meals into historical context through lectures and other education programs.
Taylor concludes “Newport Eats will look toward the future, using the past to discuss ideas about healthy and sustainable eating in the 21st century."
Newport Historical Society
Since 1854, the Newport Historical Society has collected and preserved the artifacts, photographs, documents, publications, and genealogical records that relate to the history of Newport County.
Related Slideshow: Rhode Island’s Best Comfort Food
Breakfast in a Jar, Bistro 22, Cranston
The relatively new Bistro 22 is part of the re-birth going on in Garden City, in Cranston. Many new shops and restaurants have opened in the last year and this may be the best of the lot. Bistro 22 is an American style bistro featuring local ingredients and creative dishes. It is the perfect stop to re-fuel while shopping or it is worth its own trip. The dish we chose has become a staple of our visits: Breakfast in a Jar. Slowly braised beef short rib is served along with diced potato, bacon, a poached egg and a little truffle juice. The whole thing is served in a small jar and accompanied by buttery, thick cut toast. Combine all the ingredients on the toast and it is a pretty perfect bite. 22 Midway Rd. 383-6400
Boeuf Bourguignon, Pot au Feu, Providence
If you are looking for the latest fad or newest dish in town, Pot au Feu is not the place for you. Owner Bob Burke likes to say that if a recipe isn't 300 years old, they're not interested. There is no more representative dish of French cuisine than Beef Bourguignon. A humble cut of beef is seasoned and slowly braised until tender and flavorful. The Pot's version features large chunks of beef braised with red wine and herbs until tender. It is served with their potato gratin and all that delicious broth makes for perfect French bread dipping. And hey...it was Julia Child's favorite! 44 Custom House St. 273-8953
French Onion Soup, Chez Pascal, Providence
There is something comfortable about a perfect bowl of soup. On a chilly afternoon or evening, it can be the perfect partner to a good read or your favorite TV show. On cool, October nights, we like to head over to Hope Street, in Providence, and check out the perfect French onion soup at Chez Pascal. This bistro classic features slowly braised onions with beef and chicken broth, sherry, a French bread crouton and melted cheese. It is baked in the oven and is served bubbly and melty and satisfying. Chez Pascal uses Gruyere as their cheese of choice...and we totally agree! This cheese has the perfect combination of flavor and melt. 960 Hope St. 421-4422
Cottage Pie, Buskers, Newport
Don't let the name fool you...this is a delicious Shepherd's Pie. Buskers is that perfect Irish pub you've been searching for and more. A "Busker" is a street musician or performer and we would happily sing for this supper! This is comfort on a plate: ground beef is combined with medley of vegetables including carrots and corn and peas and topped with their delicious house mashed potatoes and gravy. It is all baked until the top is crisp and brown. These flavors are classic and comforting and executed very well here. It will take the chill out of your bones for sure. 178 Thames St. 846-5856
Tagliatelle Alla Bolognese, Siena, Smithfield
As much as the Cottage Pie spoke to the Irish in us, the Tagliatelle Alla Bolognese speaks to the Italian in us. Too often Bolognese has been reduced to a homogeneous dish that falls short of what the creators intended. Not so at Siena. This is everything Bolognese should be. The Tarro brothers, long ago, brought their delicious interpretation of Tuscan food home to Rhode Island and this was the dish that hooked us. Sirloin steak, pork and pancetta are all cooked together in a tasty tomato sauce until the truly become part of the sauce. It is then tossed with tagliatelle pasta and topped with the classic Parmigiano Reggiano. Mangia! 400 Putnam Pike, 349-4111
- Newport Historical Society Releases French Exhibit Schedule
- 10 Great Things to do in Newport This Weekend - Dec. 4
- RI 6th Best State for Hotels, Newport 22nd Best in US
- Newport Named as a Top Beach Town for Christmas
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Your Holiday Party
- Sail Newport Honors Teresa Paiva Weed & Janet Coit
- Newport Jazz Fest to Feature Performance by Herb Alpert Yung Jazz Composer
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Forget Office Party Guidelines
- 10 Great Things to do in Newport This Weekend - Nov. 20
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Successful Simple Icebreakers
- Newport Chamber Launches Two Local Holiday Shopping Initiatives
- 10 Great Things to do in Newport This Weekend - Nov. 27
- NEW: Newport Folk Festival Named U.S. “Festival of the Year”
- 10 Great Things to do in Newport This Weekend - Dec. 11
- Great Things to do in Newport This Weekend - Jan. 1
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: New Year’s Eve Dilemmas
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Death of The Thank-You Note
- Darrell West Talks 2016 Election at Newport Art Museum on Saturday
- 10 Great Things to do in Newport This Weekend - Jan. 8
- 10 Great Things to do in Newport on Christmas Weekend - Dec. 25
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Holiday Dilemmas
- Discover Newport Wins Platinum Choice Award
- 12 Gifts of Christmas at Newport Vineyard
- 10 Great Things to do in Newport This Weekend - Dec. 18
- Newport Jazz Festival Unveils Part of 2016 Lineup
- NEW: Newport Gulls Manager Mike Coombs Retires