Five Things: Tallulah on Thames, Newport
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
One. A Look Ahead.
My first course at Tallulah was a great indication of what was to come. Chef Jake Rojas casts a wide net, selecting a cornucopia of fresh ingredients to pair together in a burst of flavor. My farm fresh greens with Chioggia beets, carrot, radish, and parmesan cheese was a hugely memorable salad. The beautiful presentation, a real color explosion, of edible flower confetti with greens and the vibrant addition of carrot and radish was almost too beautiful to eat. The flavorful tarragon vinaigrette ensured that I didn’t leave a morsel on the plate.
Two. Must Love Cheese.
Three. The Humble Carrot.
I loved the carrot Agnolotti for its brilliant flavor as well as for it reminding me that a careful-detail oriented preparation with nuanced layers of flavor can help even the simplest of ingredients shine above the rest. The tender Agnolotti fortified with pureed carrot and ricotta cheese was a star on its own. The companionship of the gingered, shaved, and fried preparations helped to show how the change of just a few details can sway an ingredient so far from side to side.
Four. Standout Seafood.
Five. Slightly Sweet.
I’m rarely in the mood for a very sweet dessert, my ‘savory tooth’ has always won out. So for me, the Corn Panna Cotta was everything I look for. A little sweet, a great texture and well thought out flavor profile. Chef creates the creamy blend and accompanies it with the flavors of cherry, fennel and a lemon thyme crumble. Icing has its place, but I sure am glad that chef created this adult dessert.
Hit “Save”: Tallulah on Thames. 464 Thames Street. Newport. 849.2433. TallulahOnThames.com
Check out more on Facebook, and follow Sean on Twitter @SeanDeBobes.
- Five Things: Aspire Seasonal Kitchen, Providence
- Five Things: Asterisk Restaurant & Bar, Newport
- Five Things: Bonefish Grill, Cranston
- Five Things: Centro at The Westin, Providence
- Five Things: Circe Restaurant, Providence
- Five Things: Coco Pazzo, Providence
- Five Things: Il Piccolo, Johnston
- Five Things: Lola’s Tequila Bar & Cantina, Providence
- Five Things: Muse by Jonathan Cartwright at Vanderbilt Grace, Newport
- Five Things: New Rivers, Providence
- Five Things: No-Miss Choices for Providence Restaurant Weeks
- Five Things: Parkside, Providence
- Five Things: Perro Salado, Newport
- Five Things: Return to Gracie’s, Providence
- Five Things: Safari Room at OceanCliff, Newport
- Five Things: Seasons at Ocean House, Watch Hill
- Five Things: Temple Downtown, Providence
- Five Things: The Barking Crab, Newport
- Five Things: The Boat House, Tiverton
- Five Things: The Conservatory at the Vanderbilt Grace, Newport
- Five Things: The Grande, Providence
- Five Things: The Loft at NYLO, Warwick
- Five Things: The ROI, Providence
- Five Things: The Tap Room at Stone House Inn, Little Compton
- Five Things: XO Cafe, Providence