Twin River Casino Explores Hotel Project, Informs Lincoln
Wednesday, January 21, 2015
John E. Taylor, Jr. told the Council that timing may be right to engage in a process to construct a small hotel at Twin River. “While we have always defined ourselves as a convenience casino, one that caters to customers who live within a 60-mile radius, we are motivated by two important factors. The first is that there is no denying that the New England gaming landscape has changed dramatically in the last two years. In a few short months we will begin to compete against a Massachusetts racino just 12 miles from our front door. Within another 18 months, we will be competing against destination casinos owned by premier operator Steve Wynn just outside of Boston and MGM in Springfield. The second is that more and more of our customers tell us they would like the option to play, dine and then stay overnight at Twin River.”
The hotel, as planned, would feature 150 – 250 rooms and would be no more than four stories tall. It would be attached to the Casino and would include a spa, small meeting rooms and room service provided by the casino’s food and beverage operations.
The Town Council will schedule a public hearing on the proposed hotel so that Twin River might share its preliminary thoughts and designs with Town residents. Executives also notified the Council that they would seek legislative relief to the current law, which prohibits construction of a hotel on its property. That process will commence concurrent to the Town review process due to the legislative calendar. If that prohibition is removed, Twin River would then engage in a formal planning and zoning process with the Town of Lincoln.
Related Slideshow: New England Casinos - See Who RI is up Against
Below are major casinos that are competing with Rhode Island. Data is taken from reports issued from the Center for Policy Analysis at the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth.
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Dean Lees Jr.: Just Say No to Expanding Twin River
- Twin River Table Games Campaign Spending Tops $2 Million
- NEW: Twin River to Add Table Games; Newport Votes Against Expansion
- NEW: State Representative Says Twin River Must Pay More
- NEW: Storm Shuts Down Twin River
- Twin River Breaks New Ad to Promote Job Growth
- Former Lincoln Council President Concerned About Twin River Table Games
- Gov. Signs Bill to End Greyhound Racing at Twin River
- Twin River Study Shows Benefits of Table Games
- NEW: Twin River Rebuts Bankruptcy Judge
- It’s Table Games or Die at Twin River
- Worcester Slot Casino Unveiled - A Threat to Twin River?
- RI State Report: EDC Overhaul + Twin River Table Games
- NEW: Twin River Worldwide Holdings to Acquire Casino in Biloxi, MS
- Russell Moore: Make Twin River A Destination Resort Casino
- NEW: Twin River CEO Responds to Plainville Slots Parlor Approval
- Frampton and the Doobies Rock Twin River
- MUSIC: ZZ Top Rocks Twin River
- NEW: Twin River Casino to Add 14 Table Games, 90 Jobs
- Live Table Games Open at Twin River
- RI State Report: Twin River, CPR Certification + Drunk-Driving Loophole
- NEW: Twin River to Host Gala to Celebrate Table Games Tonight
- John Hazen White’s LOOKOUT: Rhode Island Needs to Talk Twin River
- Shipyard Pub to Open at Twin River this November