RI Ranked Among Worst States to Start a Business in the U.S.
Tuesday, July 03, 2018
According to a recent study completed by WalletHub, Rhode Island is the third worst state in the country to start a business, ranking 48th out of 50.
“Startups fail for different reasons, a “bad location” among the most common. Choosing the right state for a business is therefore crucial to its success. A state that provides the ideal conditions for business creation — access to cash, skilled workers and affordable office space, for instance — can help new ventures not only take off but also thrive,” said WalletHub.
- 49th best - Business Environment
- 11th Best - Access to Resources
- 35th Best - Business Costs
- Tied 48th - Shortest Average. Work Week
Rhode Island is ranked behind Pennsylvania and Vermont, who rank 46th and 47th overall.
Rhode Island is ranked ahead of New Hampshire and Hawaii, who rank 49th and 50th respectively.
The best state to start a business is Texas.
See the Rankings in the Map Below
In order to determine the best and worst states to start a business, WalletHub compared the 50 states across three key dimensions: 1) Business Environment, 2) Access to Resources and 3) Business Costs.
They evaluated those dimensions using 25 relevant metrics. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, with a score of 100 representing the most favorable conditions for new-business creation.
Finally, WalletHub determined each state’s weighted average across all metrics to calculate its overall score and used the resulting scores to rank-order our sample.
Business Environment – Total Points: 50
- Average Length of Work Week (in Hours): Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Share of Engaged Workers: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Average Growth in Number of Small Businesses: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Startups per Capita: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Average Growth of Business Revenues: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Five-Year Business Survival Rate: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Industry Variety: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Industry-Cluster Strength: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Entrepreneurship Index: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Share of Fast-Growing Firms: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- “Digital States” Survey Grade: Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
- Job Growth (2016 vs. 2012): Full Weight (~4.17 Points)
Access to Resources – Total Points: 25
- Financing Accessibility: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
- Venture Investment Amount per Capita: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
- Human-Capital Availability: Double Weight (~7.14 Points)
- Higher-Education Assets: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
- Share of College-Educated Population: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
- Working-Age Population Growth: Full Weight (~3.57 Points)
Business Costs – Total Points: 25
- Office-Space Affordability: Double Weight (~5.56 Points)
- Labor Costs: Double Weight (~5.56 Points)
- Average Annual Single Insurance Premium per Enrolled Employee: Full Weight (~2.78 Points)
- Corporate Taxes: Full Weight (~2.78 Points)
- Total Effective State & Local Tax Rates on Mature Corporate Headquarters: Full Weight (~2.78 Points)
- Total Spending on Incentives as Share of GDP: Full Weight (~2.78 Points)
- Cost of Living: Full Weight (~2.78 Points)
- RI Ranked 10th Best State in U.S. for Healthcare
- RI Ranked as Worst State in New England for Women’s Equality
- RI Ranked One of Worst States to Start a Business in U.S., Are Raimondo’s Policies Working?
- RI Ranked Among Least Patriotic States in U.S.
- RI Ranked One of the Worst States for Doctors in U.S.
- RI Ranked 7th Best in U.S. for Children’s Healthcare
- RI Ranked Among Best States for Working Moms in U.S.
- RI Ranked 32nd in U.S. for Meeting Long-Term Care Needs, AARP Says More Needs to be Done
- RI Ranked 2nd Most Vulnerable State in U.S. to Identity Theft & Fraud
- RI Ranked Among Most Energy Efficient States in U.S.
- RI Ranked 10th Greenest State in U.S.
- RI Ranked 2nd Worst State in U.S. for Doctors
- RI Ranked 32nd Best State for Business in U.S.—Moves Up 10 Places
- RI Ranked 6th Best State in U.S. for Working Moms
- RI Ranked Among Worst States in U.S. for Military Retirees
- RI Ranked 4th Most Innovative State in New England, 23rd Overall
- URI Ranked 17th in Latest National Poll
- RI Ranked Among Worst States in Country for Tobacco Control