RI Pension Fund Earns $101.3 Million in November
Sunday, December 24, 2017
The fund’s value is now $8.34 billion, the highest it has been in a decade.
"The health of Rhode Island's pension fund is improving. Over the past year, our Back to Basics approach of common sense investing has been providing solid investment returns for our members,” said Treasurer Seth Magaziner.
The pension fund has earned 14.77 percent on its investment, and 1.23 percent in the month of November.
The November returns beat the fund's benchmark of 1.21 percent and a traditional 60% stock/40% bonds portfolio which would have earned 1.11 percent.
Magaziner announced the Back to Basics investment strategy in September 2016 -- this policy change reversed then-General Treasurer and now Governor Gina Raimondo's heavy investment in hedge funds.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- Riley: President Trump Helps Magaziner to First Positive Annual Return
- Magaziner Calls on Wells Fargo to Address “Unacceptable Consumer Fraud”
- Magaziner Announces New Community Deposit Program “Bank Local”
- Magaziner’s Municipal Pension Plan May Help Some But Little for Providence
- Siedle: WikiLeak Exposes Seth Magaziner’s Dependence on Daddy
- WikiLeak: Ira Magaziner Asks Podesta for a Donation to His Son Seth
- Riley: Magaziner Drowning in Raimondo’s Hedge Funds Gone Wild
- Riley: A New Low Cost Strategy for Treasurer Magaziner
- Siedle: FBI & SEC Should Investigate Raimondo & Magaziner’s Billion-Plus Losing Hedge Fund Gamble
- Moore: Magaziner Must Embrace Filippi’s Pension Proposal
- Riley: Magaziner Wades Into Rhode Island Municipal Pension Crisis
- Riley: Magaziner Was Barely Alive Then, But I Lived Through 1987 Crash
- RI Treasurer Magaziner Talks ‘Back to Basics’, College Costs, and St. Joseph’s Pension Fund
- Magaziner Defends RI’s TIAA Investments While Controversy Grows
- Pell, Block and Magaziner’s Campaigns Owe More than $5 Million
- Magaziner’s BankLocal Program is Finalist for National “Future of Business” Award
- Magaziner Announces RI Pension Fund Has Pulled Over $500M from Hedge Funds, Shift From Raimondo
- Magaziner Tells GoLocal LIVE 150 Loans Created in Last 6 Months Via New RI “BankLocal” Program
- Seth Magaziner on Pensions, Hedge Funds, and More
- Riley: Did Magaziner & Raimondo Invest in Vulture Hedge Funds?
- Magaziner Announces RI has Withdrawn $340 Million From Hedge Funds, Strategy Shift from Raimondo
- Moore: Magaziner’s Back to Basics Strategy Paying Dividends
- Magaziner Talks Returning $10M to 35,000, College Plan, and TIAA Investigation