RI Commerce Cancels Havas’ Tourism Contract, Firm Hit With More Fee Cuts: UPDATED
Monday, May 09, 2016
When Governor Raimondo announced the dismissal of Betsy Wall from the Chief Marketing Officer position at the Commerce Corporation on April 1, she also announced that Havas had been hit with a $100,000 fee reduction, but that number was not correct.
Havas received a letter of cancelation in March. Havas and the Commerce Corporation can renegotiate a new agreement per the initial contract.
“As it has been acknowledged, we currently are in negotiations about the scope for year two of the contract,” said Linda Descano of Havas in an email to GoLocalProv on Friday. Commerce Corporation is not contractually obligated to continue to work with Havas.
Havas was chosen by Rhode Island in October to execute the new tourism campaign's public relations and marketing — and was slated to get $3.5 million of the state’s now beleaguered $4.5 million effort.
How Much is the Total Reduction for Havas?
"We voluntarily agreed to a reduction of fees of $150K in February -- that's when Betsy Wall had emphasized the paid media. Then there was a $120K reduction in March -- that was another one that was a collaborative conversation,” said Descano.
“With respect to May 3, there was a reduction in fees, which happened as Havas was providing social media support for a monthly fee that ended in March. When that ended, there was an effective return of $90K. There have not been any changes to the contract [since then],” said Descano.
The Raimondo Administration communicated the return of state dollars slightly differently than Havas, although the dollar amount is essentially the same.
"The Governor announced a reduction in Havas's fees of $100,000 following the brand roll out, as well as the reduction of about $20,000 for the video from IndieWhip which was a subcontractor to Havas. This was in addition to the $150,000 reduction in fees negotiated before the brand roll out,” said Kayla Rosen at Commerce Corporation on Friday.
"Additionally, on May 3, Havas agreed to another $90,000 reduction in fees. Therefore the total amount is actually much higher than you reference: $340,000 including the reductions from both before and after the brand launch, plus about $20,000 from the subcontract to IndieWhip,” said Rosen.
Following the tourism video release (which was then pulled due to its error), the firm IndieWhip, which was hired to produce it, returned the $20,000 to the state. At that time Raimondo also stated that Salzman and Havas had given $100,000 back to Rhode Island.
“Yes, we did give money back,” said Salzman, who noted it was tied to a leadership decision. “When [Wall] came here, she wanted to do more paid media, so I voluntarily gave it back. I said you believe in paid media, and I support that.”
Can Rhode Island Replace Havas?
Presently, Rhode Island’s Commerce Corporation has no contractual obligation to continue to work with Havas at the conclusion on the initial one-year agreement that concludes in the fall. The Commerce Corporation can reissue the original Request for Proposal or draft a knew RFP and seek alternatives to the New York-based Havas.
Havas has also hired one of the top lobbyists in Rhode Island, Lenny Lopes of Victor Group. Havas says they are not paying him with state dollars and he is not lobbying. Salzman claims Lopes is her “map quest” helping her navigate Rhode Island.
Related Slideshow: Tourism Logos For All 50 States (and D.C.)
- RI Tourism’s Havas Hires Top Lobbyist as Consultant
- Before Running RI’s Tourism PR, Havas Worked for Cianci’s Campaign
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo’s “I Know an Out-of-State Guy” Caused the Tourism Disaster
- Raimondo’s Out-of-State Contracts Extend Beyond Tourism
- Raimondo’s Tourism Problems Are Far From Over
- Raimondo’s National Press Problem Following Tourism Fallout
- Three Rhode Island Tourism Icons in Legal Battles
- Agency Finalist for RI Tourism Account Wins Top Award for Montana Tourism Ads
- NEW: Raimondo Fires Betsy Wall For Tourism Campaign Debacle
- Will a Rhode Island Firm Win the $5 Million Tourism Campaign?
- RI Tourism Campaign in Chaos
- Local Comedians Spoof “We are RI” Tourism Video
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Carson: Mismanagement of Tourism Campaign Has Jarred RI
- More than 100 Errors on RI Tourism Website
- UPDATED: “We Are RI” Tourism Video Taken Down by Commerce
- Providence Tourism Outperforming Region—and Nation
- Westerly Chamber Boss Asks Commerce’s Wall and Pryor to Put Westerly in RI’s Tourism Video
- GoLocal Secures Copy of Deleted RI Tourism Video
- The Tourism Logos of all 50 States
- Would RI Tourism Account Be an Economic Spark?
- Havas PR Announces Rhode Island Team
- RI Commerce Picks 2 Out-of-State-Firms to Brand and Promote RI Tourism