Raimondo Announces Details of Municipal Technical Assistance Program
Friday, January 26, 2018
"Since 2015, we've cut thousands of pages of regulations, we've cut red tape and we've cut taxes. We've made Rhode Island more business friendly. But, we need to keep going. Business owners want to spend their days behind the counter at their store, not waiting in line at City Hall. The Technical Assistance for Municipal Zoning and Permitting Fund will be a game changer for small business owners by helping cities and towns improve zoning regulations and development processes to spark economic development,” said Raimondo.
Raimondo proposed $200,000 to create the Technical Assistance for Municipal Zoning and Permitting Fund to assist municipalities in streamlining efforts.
The Commerce Corporation would grant funds to assist communities in improving zoning regulations and land use development processes to improve economic development.
Raimondo also announced the opening of the application period for the Main Street Improvement Fund.
The fund awards grants or loans for improvements to important commercial districts throughout Rhode Island. Examples include funding for projects such as enhanced sidewalks, new street furniture, new way-finding signage, and upgrading facades or street lighting.
Raimondo is also proposing changes to the Rebuild Rhode Island program to give smaller manufacturers and businesses along the state's Main Streets better access to the program.
The proposal amends the Rebuild Rhode Island program so that small businesses located in the corridors designated by the Commerce Corporation's Main Street Improvement program would be eligible to apply.
For these businesses, the Rebuild project size thresholds would be lowered.
More Details to Come
Raimondo to plans to announced more information and additional steps at a small business in Providence’s Olneyville neighborhood on Thursday.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- Raimondo Calls Trump Tax Plan “an Unconscionable Handout to Millionaires & Billionaires”
- National Grid’s 15% Rate Increase Request Draws Fire from Raimondo
- Raimondo Orders U.S. & RI Flags to Fly at Half-Staff for Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
- Raimondo Aims to Double Number of Computer Science Grads in RI by 2025
- Coderre Joins Raimondo Staff to Address Opioid, Addiction Crisis in Rhode Island
- NEW: Raimondo Claims Controversial Infosys to Create 500 Jobs in RI by 2022
- Raimondo Doesn’t Oppose Closure of Memorial, Union Calls for “Leadership”
- RI Environmental Groups Urge Raimondo, Sen. Sosnowski to Support Protection of Menhaden
- Raimondo Orders U.S. & RI Flags to Fly at Half-Staff in Honor of Texas Shooting Victims
- Mattiello Calls on Raimondo to Hold Plans for Expired Vehicle Inspection Charges
- VIDEO: Governor Raimondo Defends Police Shooting of Santos and Demers
- Raimondo’s Budget Proposal & PawSox Legislation: This Week at the State House
- Raimondo’s $1 Billion School Rehab Initiative Will Only Address One-Third of Need
- RI School Committees’ Duffy on Challenges Facing Level-Funded Education in Raimondo FY19 Budget
- R.W. Alley: “Raimondo’s Budget Balancing Act”
- Riley: Raimondo‘s Confused Tax Reform Priorities
- 5 Danger Areas for Raimondo’s Budget
- Raimondo Banking on $23M from Sports Betting in FY19 Budget Proposal for RI
- VIDEO: Fung Blasts Raimondo’s State of the State Speech
- ANALYSIS: Raimondo’s “Love” Speech
- Raimondo’s Big Bet - $1 billion to Improve Schools Over 5 Years
- Big Thursday and Friday on GoLocal LIVE - Raimondo, Mattiello, and Pryor