NY Times Links WJAR-10’s Parent Company to Right-Wing Mandated News Stories
Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Now, Sinclair Broadcasting - who owns WJAR - is in the midst of purchasing Tribune's 42 television stations for $3.9 billion.
Vox calls the deal a mega-move for conservative media. “Sinclair Broadcast Group — a conservative, Trump-friendly television empire — is poised to become one of the most powerful players in the mainstream media. The relatively unknown company, whose stations have mixed conservative commentary with local news, is now on the verge of a deal that would allow it to reach nearly three-quarters of American households.
Latest for WJAR
This is not the first case of WJAR’s parent company being linked to GOP political causes.
In December, Politico reported that Sinclair Broadcasting made a deal with the Trump campaign for better access - which isn't even the first time that WJAR's parent company has been tied to pushing a conservative agenda.
“Kushner said the agreement with Sinclair, which owns television stations across the country in many swing states and often packages news for their affiliates to run, gave them more access to Trump and the campaign, according to six people who heard his remarks,” reported Politico, of remarks made by Trump's son-in-law, who is married to Trump's daughter, Ivanka.
Locally, WJAR 10’s General Manager Vic Vetter said he had no comment on the New York Times story.
“Jon Leiberman, the Sinclair reporter fired for publicly criticizing the company's handling of the documentary, said Sinclair executives told its news staff Sunday that they planned to run a 'significant chunk' of the film, 'but they refused to put a time on it.' He said he objected when the company told reporters to develop news stories around the film,” according to a 2004 CNN news report.
“Since November 2015, Sinclair has ordered its stations to run a daily segment from a 'Terrorism Alert Desk' with updates on terrorism-related news around the world. During the election campaign last year, it sent out a package that suggested in part that voters should not support Hillary Clinton because the Democratic Party was historically pro-slavery,” wrote the the New York Times.
Thousands Protest in RI Against Trump’s Executive Order on Immigrants - Jan. 2017
- GoLocal Story On WJAR’s Parent Co. Sparks Dispute Between Sinclair, Politico - They Blame Kushner
- EXCLUSIVE: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR in Culture Clash
- PODCAST: EXCLUSIVE: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR in Culture Clash
- In Case You Missed It: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR
- Tremmel Goes Global - WJAR Fallout Picked Up Across the Globe
- VIDEO: WJAR NBC 10’s Bologna Drops “F” Bomb on Air
- In Case You Missed It: Julie Tremmel Out at WJAR 10
- NEW: Julie Tremmel Out at WJAR 10
- Jimmy Kimmel Rips WJAR’s First Birthdays
- Jimmy Kimmel ‘WJAR 1st Birthdays’ Prankster Reveals Himself
- WJAR’s Taricani Rips Station for Embarrassing Bear Video
- WJAR Reporter Who Mocked Bear Attacks is at It Again
- Listen: Mega TV Merger Will Have Big Impact on WJAR-10 and WPRI-12
- Mega TV Merger Will Have Big Impact on WJAR-10 and WPRI-12
- Kelly Love Out at WJAR
- Putman Leaves WJAR, Pelletier Leaves Providence Journal
- WJAR 10’s Parent Co. Under Fire for Trading Access to Trump for More Positive Coverage
- Chris Lanni Out as WJAR 10 News Director
- Molly O’Brien Leaves WJAR 10
- TV: WJAR Dominates Ratings, Big Loss of Young Viewers, and Kalunian Goes to WPRI
- Moore News: Glamour Loves Metts, WJAR Re-Org, Black Journalists, Lauer and Globe Moving
- WJAR 10 Crushes WPRI 12, Rolling Stone Fallout, and Projo Moving - Moore News
- NEW: Coletta Recognizes 37 Years at WJAR 10