NEW: Tara Granahan to Team Up With Buddy Cianci on WPRO
Monday, February 18, 2013
In the past two years, the once leading radio news station has been in nearly constant change - the most recent is Tara Granahan will now join Buddy Cianci in the 3 pm to 6 pm slot. In the past two years Granahan has shifted from John DePetro's sidekick in morning drive, to co-host with Andrew Gobiel, to the reader of ads for Gene Valicenti, and now to Buddy Cianci's co-host.
Granahan replaces radio Hall of Famer Ron St. Pierre who was dismissed from Cumulus' WPRO.
Since Cumulus purchased Citadel, then the parent company of WPRO, the cost reductions have been nearly non-stop. In just the past couple of weeks Andrew Gobiel and St. Pierre have been cut loose. Now, Granahan joining the afternoon show could be an indication of more changes and cost reductions.
With the move of Granahan to the afternoon show it leaves WJAR's lead 6 pm anchor, Gene Valicenti, to do live advertising reads on his own during his morning show on WPRO. Valicenti endorsing companies and products in the morning may create a conflict situation for WJAR News. This is a potential conflict situation for Valincenti who may be reporting on those companies as a new story on TV, but is paid by that very company to endorse it in the morning. Valicenti does receive payment from the individual advertiser for live reads.
- Follow Up: New Boss Walking The Halls At WPRO-AM
- EXCLUSIVE: WPRO Honcho Headed for the Door
- NEW: Speaker Fox Calls on WPRO to Pull Critical Ad
- Exclusive: Dumping DePetro In Morning Hurting WPRO-AM
- NEW: St. Pierre Out at WPRO AM
- Media Wars: WPRO Launches Promo Using Progressive Blog’s Name
- BREAKING: Big Cuts at WPRO - Cumulus Axe Starts to Fall
- NEW: Shakeup at WPRO; Valicenti New Morning Host