NEW: RI Business Leaders Pledge Support for Same-Sex Marriage
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Saying the ability to “attract and retain top talent from around the world” is critical to creating a competitive business environment, CEOs, Presidents and owners of some of the Ocean State’s top companies have a group called Rhode Island Business Leaders for Marriage Equality.
The individuals have signed an online pledge stating that “Allowing all loving, committed couples in Rhode Island to obtain a civil marriage license would strengthen the workforce for Rhode Island employers.”
“Legalizing same-sex marriage would increase revenue in the state while also generating much-needed business for companies in the tourism and hospitality industries,” the pledge continues. “I support marriage equality because every employee or potential employee will be treated fairly, it helps increase our competitive business environment and it is good for Rhode Island's economy.”
So far, some of the most influential names on the list include
Alan Hassenfeld, the former CEO of Pawtucket-based Hasbro and current CEO of Sproutel, Angus Davis, the CEO of Swipely, which was recently named one of the Most Promising Companies in America by Forbes Magazine and Howard Sutton, publisher, president and CEO of the Providence Journal.
To see a full list of those who have signed the petition, click here.
- Gay News Site Accuses MERI of Undermining Gay Marriage Battle
- Obama Endorses Gay Marriage: Will RI Support Equality?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Dan Lawlor: Time to Support Gay Marriage
- RI Theaters Collaborate with National Gay Marriage Plays Event
- BREAKING: Chafee Signs Executive Order Recognizing Out-of-State Gay Marriages
- Is Gay Marriage on the Table in Rhode Island?
- Rhode Island Gears for Gay Marriage Battle in 2013
- Do RI Voters Want to Decide Gay Marriage at the Polls?
- LISTEN: Will Gay Marriage make it out of the Senate Judiciary Committee?
- SLIDES: Can Gay Marriage Clear the Senate Judiciary Committee?
- Don Roach: Gay marriage debate at the tipping point
- Momentum for Gay Marriage: What It Means for Rhode Island
- See How the Members Voted on Gay Marriage - the Official Vote
- Gay Marriage Advocates Miss the Boat ... Again
- NEW: Gemma Backs Obama, Announces Support for Gay Marriage
- Senate will be Ground Zero for Rhode Island Gay Marriage Debate
- Gay Marriage Bill Introduced in Rhode Island
- NEW: House of Representatives Will Hear Gay Marriage Bill Tuesday
- Gay Marriage Debate Takes Center Stage Today
- NEW: Treasurer Raimondo Voices Support for Gay Marriage