NEW: Providence Ranked 11th Best City for Shopping Local During Holiday Season
Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Providence was the only New England city to make the list.
Philadelphia was ranked as the best city for shopping local while Las Vegas was ranked last.
A recent Yelp and Harris Poll survey found that 64% of American adults, which translates to over 150 million people, will shop local this holiday season.
According to the survey, each shopper plans to spend $258, meaning a total of $40 billion will be spent with independent retailers this November and December.
To determine the rankings, Yelp created a "gifting score" for each city by looking at reviews mentioning the word gift at businesses in specific shopping categories that are popular around the holidays.
Yelp then ranked the cities based on the gifting score and included as many as two cities per state.
Related Slideshow: 25 Ways to Support Small Businesses in RI
Grab a Snack
8 Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
Signature almond butter toffee hand-crafted in small batches with the best ingredients. Almonds, sweet cream butter, pure sugar, salt and dark chocolate are skillfully piloted through heat and cold to create a classic treat you can’t resist.
Shop for Dad
39 Warren Ave, East Providence, RI
Not sure what to get dad for the holidays?
Go out together and be entertained at East Providence’s Comedy Connection where local and international acts like Norm MacDonald, DL Hughey, and Carlos Mencia are currently set to perform!
Shop for Someone Special
180 Pleasant View Ave, Smithfield, RI
Get that special person in your life a gift to remember this holiday.
AC Jewelers can create custom wedding bands, engagement rings and even has a selection of pre-owned Rolex’s and other fine jewelry to suit any taste.
Photo: AC Jewelers
Shop for a Difficult Buy
14 Imperial Place, Providence, RI
Do you have someone on your list that is very hard to buy a gift for?
Try giving them a different type of relaxing experience with Emerging Energy Acupuncture they offer acupuncture, massage, and herbology services to sooth the body and the mind.
Grab Some Lunch
1357 Hartford Ave, Johnston, RI
In a rush? Luigi’s Restaurant & Gourmet Express offers authentic Italian Cuisine that is already prepared and ready to eat at your request!
Sit in or take your meal on the go.
Photo: Luigi's Restaurant and Gourmet Express
Even More Lunch!
156 County Rd, Barrington, RI
If you’ve got a hearty appetite and love Thai food try Tong D Restaurant for lunch during your shopping excursions.
Tong D has an amazing selection of spicy curry, savory rice, and delicious noodle dishes and even offers vegan selections.
Participate in and Event
801 Greenwich Ave, Warwick
Small Business Saturday Shop RI at the Crowne Plaza in Warwick from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The event will feature over 100 Rhode Island Small Businesses and vendors including entrepreneurs, artists, Farm Fresh RI, Social Venture Enterprises, veterans, and minority-owned businesses.
Get Ready for a Night Out
9 Pier Market Pl, Narragansett, RI
Spa Thayer will have a special on gift certificates: buy one gift certificate and get one 50% off any combination of services.
Don’t forget to book yourself and appointment this Saturday to freshen up after a long holiday weekend, and enjoy 10% off in spa credit.
Grab Yourself a Treat
21 Charles St., Wakefield, RI
Get some retail therapy at Sweenor’s Chocolates and take home a treat for yourself, and your loved ones - but mostly yourself.
Choose from their assorted boxed chocolates, fudges, and sugar-free candies.
Photo: Sweenor's Chocolates
Improve Your Space
444 Boyds Ln., Portsmouth, RI
Grab some fresh blooms this holiday from Mello’s Farm and Flowers Center.
The family owned and operated business also offers poinsettias, trees, and wreaths to decorate your home with this holiday.
Photo: Mello's Farm and Flowers Center
328 Atwood Ave - Cranston RI
Second Time Around Sports has plenty of new and gently used sports gear for the athlete in your family.
They also offer special deals on ski and snowboard goods in store - perfect for winter sports during their race to black Friday event which extends all weekend.
Grab a Drink
95 Eddy St, Providence, RI
The Eddy is one of the coolest places to grab a cocktail before you make your rounds for the weekend.
Enjoy a signature creation like their “Orange Julius Caesar”, “Solera Flare” or “Up All Night…” cocktails made fresh and don’t forget to grab a bar snack!
Photo: The Eddy
60 Dorrance St, Providence, RI
The Dorrance has an ever-changing cocktail menu and is just a stone’s throw away from other bars like G Pub, Circe, and Congress.
The Dorrance is the perfect spot to start the night right and grab some seriously tasty bar food like their Rhody Calamari, and Duck Confit and Pumpkin.
Photo: The Dorrance
- Organize + Energize: Get Organized For the Holidays
- Happy Holidays, Rhode Island!
- Organize + Energize: Clear the Clutter For the Holidays
- Fit For Life: Don’t ‘Sabotage’ Your Holidays
- Shopping Tips + Managing Kids’ Expectations For The Holidays
- MUSIC: Tapestries Ring In The Holidays at Dusk
- 10 Tips To Survive (And Enjoy) The Holidays—Butler Expert
- Helping Kids with Autism During the Holidays
- Putting Etiquette to Work During the Holidays
- Happy Holidays!
- ALPHA MALE: Dressing For the Holidays
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: The Perfect LBD for the Holidays
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Same-Sex Etiquette for the Holidays
- Happy Holidays
- Leonard Moorehead the Urban Gardener: Hollies Forever Holidays
- RI Health Department Releases 10 Food Safety Tips for the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: An Organized Bathroom for the Holidays
- No More Holi-daze: 6 Tips for Happier Holidays with Complex Learners
- Smart Benefits: Serve Up Wellness for the Holidays
- Organize + Energize: Simplify Your Home For the Holidays
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Politely Navigating the Holidays
- The Cellar: A Pair of Italian Wines Perfect for the Holidays
- The LOOK: How to Create the Perfect Top Knot Bun for the Holidays
- Happy Holidays from GoLocal
- Organize + Energize: 6 Tips to Organize Kid’s Toys Before the Holidays!