slides: New England’s Most Competitive States For Business—New Ranking
Thursday, April 11, 2013
Compiling the Ranking
The BHI Competitiveness Index, published annually since 2001, is a number between 0 and 10 that measures each state’s capacity to facilitate economic growth through increasing personal income. The index is based on 43 factors in eight different subcategories: government and fiscal policy, security, infrastructure, human resources, technology, business incubation, openness, and environmental policy. The BHI measures both advantageous and disadvantageous factors in these categories to determine each state’s ability to generate higher incomes. Massachusetts ranked the highest at #1 for competitiveness in business, with Mississippi the worst state for competiveness at #50.
“While there are several factors that make states competitive, measures around education technology and infrastructure are the common threads that support a strong showing,” said Frank Conte, project manager for the BHI report.
The Best 10
#1 Massachusetts was the only New England state to make the top ten of most competitive states for business, followed by North Dakota (#2), Minnesota (#3), South Dakota (#4), Utah (#5), Colorado (#6), Texas (#7), Washington (#8), Virginia (#9), and Kansas (#10). New Hampshire just missed the top ten with a #12 ranking.
See how each New England state fared, below. To view the complete BHI 12th Annual State Competitiveness Report, click here.
- 12 Biggest Business Stories in RI in 2012
- 25 Best Cities + Towns For Doing Business in Rhode Island
- LEGAL MATTERS: Should You Incorporate Your Small Business?
- LISTEN: Best Cities & Towns to Do Business
- LISTEN: Looking at Pro Business Legislation
- NEW: Rhode Island Ranked Lowest in Overall Business Friendliness
- Smart Benefits: Why You May Not Want To Grow Your Business
- New England’s Best-Performing Business Cities
- NEW: RIPEC, Senate Leaders Hope To Improve RI’s National Business Rankings
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.