New England Medical Innovation Center Awarded 150K Grant from RI Commerce
Wednesday, November 29, 2017
“At MedMates, our goal is to educate the community about the economic impact of Life Sciences, cultivate entrepreneurship and showcase innovative programs, and this grant will significantly impact our ability to do that. We have collaborated closely with NEMIC over the past year, and this grant will help us expand that collaboration by supporting shared resources,” said Carol Malysz, executive director, MedMates.
The grant program provides money to intermediary organizations for projects that offer technical assistance, space on flexible terms, or access to capital to Rhode Island small businesses in key industries, including life sciences.
Using the Grant
NEMIC and MedMates will use the grant to develop, expand, and publicize resources to Rhode Island’s life sciences community.
They will also promote Rhode Island’s life sciences and healthcare companies and their advancements.
Lastly, NEMIC and MedMates will oversee partnership programs including the Korean Institute of Startup and Entrepreneurship Development program.
“The support from this grant allows us to form long-lasting partnerships and to connect biotech/biomed commercial ventures to expertise and opportunities in Rhode Island, and we appreciate Commerce recognizing and funding this opportunity,” said Aidan Petrie, MedMates board member and co-founder and managing partner, NEMIC.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- Former A.T. Cross CEO “Volunteering” at RI Commerce Corp — Is a Shake-Up Coming?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: RI Commerce Honcho Stefan Pryor’s Political Baggage
- RI Commerce Employees Given Gag Order Not to “Disparage” Betsy Wall
- RI Commerce Cancels Havas’ Tourism Contract, Firm Hit With More Fee Cuts: UPDATED
- Developer Says RI Commerce Corp. Holding Up Plans for Pawtucket Waterfront District
- 38 Studios: SEC Charges RI Commerce Corp, Wells Fargo with Fraud - RI Reacts
- NEW: SEC Charges RI Commerce Corp, Wells Fargo with Fraud in 38 Studios
- RI Commerce Corp Member’s Club Facing Lawsuit and Eviction
- Vendors Claim RI Commerce Corp Board Member’s Club Owes Tens of Thousands
- RI Commerce Corporation Names Betsy Wall Chief Marketing Officer
- Gov. Raimondo & RI Commerce Corp. Announce New Construction Projects
- NEW: RI Commerce Corp Votes on 38 Studios Litigation, Refuses to Disclose Details
- RI Commerce Corp Seeking Proposals for New Business, Tourism Advertising Agencies
- RI Commerce Spends Two-Thirds of its $12M in Contracts with Out-of-State Companies
- RI Commerce’s 17 Deals: More than 70% Goes to Out-of-State Companies
- Sasse Calls on General Assembly to Audit RI Commerce Corp
- Critics Blast RI Commerce Out-of-State Spending
- RI Commerce Promotes Raimondo Video; RIers Lash Out on Social Media
- RI Commerce Lures Vistaprint with $2.2M in Subsidies, Unaware Competitor MOO.com is RI-Based
- RI Commerce Vice Chair and Raimondo Appointee is Massachusetts Resident
- Top RI Entrepreneur Posner Criticizes RI Commerce’s $3.3M to eMoney
- RI Commerce Corp to Pay $50,000 Penalty in 38 Studios Settlement with SEC
- GOP, RI Commerce, and Speaker Say Any Stadium Funding Will Have To Be Approved By RI Legislature
- Chafee Says $40M for Wexford is the Wrong Priority, RI Commerce Votes for Funding
- Sasse Says RI Commerce Failed to Properly Review PawSox Deal