Aponte Slams 195 Tower Proposal in Providence
Wednesday, November 09, 2016
"I think the renderings show that [the proposal] is out of scale, size, and shape," said Aponte. "It's an insult to our city's historic character."
The Fane Organization presented to the proposal to the 195 Commission on Monday.
"I urge that clearer thinking prevails," said Aponte. "I understand that we are seeking development and support that, but I think we must hold fast to the belief that not all development is good development."
Take a tour of the initial designs BELOW
Aponte spoke to the prospects of the three towers on Tuesday.
"If you look look at a Marvel or DC comic book, I'm sure you could find similar buildings," said Aponte of the renderings. "I hope that we attract development of the scale and size that's appropriate for that site and rest of city."
"Its use is as important as aesthetics, and if we're only looking to develop residential, I'm not sure it's in keeping with the development of the 195 corridor," added Aponte. "Where are the jobs, where's the industry -- how are we taking advantage of other assets like universities and hospitals?"
"This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to attract development. It went from the Jewelry District to the Knowledge District, and I'm not sure residential development alone is the answer."
3 Towers Proposal for 195
- Luis Aponte: 15 To Watch in RI in 2015
- NEW: Aponte Elected Council President, Matos Pro Tempore
- NEW: Council President-Elect Aponte Learns of Elorza Transition Team from GoLocal
- NEW: Solomon Receives Endorsement from Councilman Luis Aponte
- GoLocalTV: Sen. DaPonte Says Senate Did Not Know About 38 Studios
- NEW: Senate Finance Chairman DaPonte Holds on in District 14
- Elorza, Aponte Nominate Six to Providence Ethics Commission
- NEW: City Council President Aponte “Excited” at Prospect of PawSox Coming to Providence
- Aponte Says Talks with PawSox Ownership About Victory Place Forthcoming
- City Council President Aponte Demands Answers for Elorza’s Guatemala Trip
- Opponents Blast Tax Breaks for 195 Dormitory Deal
- PODCAST: Opponents Blast Tax Breaks for 195 Dormitory Deal
- Minority Contractors Question Being Blocked From I-195 Development
- Raimondo Names 6 New 195 Commissioners
- NEW: 195 Redevelopment Consultant Contract Draws Nine Bidders
- Providence City Council Members Question Dormitory Deal on 195 Land
- NEW: Newport Yachting Center Sold to 195 Kane’s Firm
- NEW: Chafee Defends 195 Commission Secrecy
- 195 Bidder Carpionato Failed to Redevelop Providence Fruit Market
- NEW: Solomon Proposes Master Tax Stabilization Plan for 195 Land
- Elorza and Aponte Announce Tax Break Plan for Providence Neighborhoods
- 8 Questions with Providence City Council President Aponte
- NEW: Providence Foundation Endorses 195 Location for Stadium
- 195 Commission Announces New BioTech Proposal for Providence Land
- Critics Raise Questions Over New 195 Tax Break Plan for Providence
- NEW: 195 Commission Director Brodie Resigns
- Take a Tour of the Proposed 3 Towers on 195 Land
- Aponte, Finance Committee Pull Support for Elorza’s $40M Providence Infrastructure Bond
- Fung, Taveras Leasing Campaign Headquarters from 195 Bidder Carpionato
- NEW: Providence Stadium Deal Opponents Pressure 195 Commission into Open Meeting
- Owners of Potential New PawSox Site Issue Statement As Alternative to 195 Land
- Robert Healey, 1957-2016: Rhode Island Leaders React
- The Most Destructive Hurricanes Since 1950
- The Most Famous Band Formed Each Year Since 1951
- Guest MINDSETTER™ VanderWeele: The I-195 Land - Subdivide & Conquer
- Thoughts on Dumbing Down Politicians, Visual Illiteracy, and I-195
- EXCLUSIVE: Major Music Promoter Eyeing 195 Stadium Land in Providence
- Providence Preservation Society Opposes 195 Location for Stadium
- NEW: Aponte Campaign Finance Case Referred to Attorney General