NEW: 2014 RI Business Plan Competition to Kick Off on Oct. 16
Monday, September 30, 2013
Although the competition is free, organizers are asking that participants pre-register for the Kick-Off event. Click here to register via Facebook or email. Registration ends October 16, 2013 4:30 p.m.
This year's competition is organized along two tracks, a Student Track for people enrolled in college or graduate school, and an Entrepreneur Track for everyone else, whether or not they already have started a business.
The Student Track is open to any student enrolled in and attending an accredited college or university at the undergraduate or graduate level. All key members of the team must be students.
Students should submit their idea; it should not be a business proposed by a professor who is looking for students to run with it. Students may rely on professors, as well as anyone else, as advisors.
The Entrepreneur Track is open to anyone, aged 18 or over. While applicants do not have to be Rhode Island residents, to be selected as a semi-finalist, applicants must agree to establish or continue business operations in Rhode Island should they be named a finalist or winner.
Applicants may submit an idea for early stage, or seed stage, company. This typically is a business proposal at the inventor stage where there is an idea, a concept, or even a product, but little or no income.
About the Competition
The Rhode Island Business Plan Competition is the leading community-supported business plan competition in the Northeast, supported by private businesses, colleges and universities, public entities, and nonprofit organizations.
Founded in 2000 by Garrett Hunter, then president of the Business Development Company of Rhode Island, the Competition aims to further develop the entrepreneurial spirit in Rhode Island and help create growth companies that will increase local employment.
- 2012 Rhode Island Business Plan Competition - Time for a Good Party
- Big Improvement: RI Jumps Forward in National Entrepreneurship Ranking
- NEW: Rhode Island Ranks #19 In US For Entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneur Hannah Chung: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- Bryant’s Collegiate Entrepreneur’s Organization #1 in US
- Betaspring Mentors Entrepreneurs from Across the Country
- New Study: Teach for America Producing Education Entrepeneurs
- Tech Entrepreneur Chris Sheehy: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- Tools for Entrepreneurs - A Business Forum that Matters
- Top Ten Entrepreneurial Mistakes Forum
- Venture For America to Help Rhode Island’s Young Entrepreneurs