Media Buzz: Anchor Wanted, More Cumulus Cuts, Is Channel 10 For Sale?, Radio Ratings Winners
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Is there a buyer for Channel 10?
Channel 10, owned by Media General, released 3rd quarter earnings recently. The company as a whole reported a loss of about 19-million in total revenue for the quarter compared to 2010 earnings. Chatter in some media circles has centered on a possible sale of Channel 10. During the 3rd quarter call, there was no specific mention of selling off WJAR, but executives have said they are always looking for potential buyers.
That is a signal that a sale is simply not out of the question and if someone with a big enough check book comes along, Providence’s #1 rated station would be gone. Word from our sources inside the station is that there continues to be some speculation about a potential sale, but nothing set in stone.
New Morning Show Coming To WPRO-AM?
Over on the Wampanoag Trail in East Providence, the Cumulus watch continues. No significant changes as of yet, but station insiders say intense closed door meetings continue. For those paying attention, new morning show host Andrew Gobeil has been off the air for the last few days. Night time host Matt Allen has been filling in with Tara Granahan. Could it be an on air-audition for Allen? No one is saying that publically, but the question has been raised since Allen is seen as a favorite of management and if Cumulus is coming with the ax, a move to mornings could be a safe spot for him.
Meantime, in New York City, Cumulus has chopped up WABC and WPLJ, letting go on air and behind the scenes people. One person let go was Dave Stewart, who spent more than 20-years in the big apple after leaving 92 Pro-Fm here in Providence.
According to trend numbers released by Arbitron, the most listened to radio station in Providence is 92 Pro-Fm. The numbers are based on total listenership of the stations during the week from 6am until midnight. This set of numbers from Arbitron does not break down each day-part/show or demographic. The other top 5 (in this order) are:
Notable notes: Coast 93.3 had a fairly big jump from August to September. And both talk stations saw big increases, with WPRO-AM and WHJJ each bouncing back from poor August numbers, when talk radio listening tends to be lower. Out of the two stations, WPRO continues its lead by a significant margin over WHJJ.
3rd Place Channel 6 Looking To Add
Channel 6 is looking for a reporter/photo journalist as it apparently tries to beef up its reporting roster. It is also advertising for a new Chief Engineer. Despite these advertised hires, the station continues to limp along with the new owners showing no signs of moving the ratings meter. The station did unveil a new look/log when it switched to HD and it deserves some credit for the makeover of its website recently.
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- RI Media Buzz: Bra Beats News, Pro-Jo & PRO Battle, New Look for 10 and more!
- Media Buzz: Cumulus Shake-Up Begins, New Sunrise Show Shines, Where’s The New ProJo?
- Media Buzz: Former Anchor Forced To Resign, Edward R. Murrow Speaks, Cicilline Radio Grab
- Media Buzz: Channel 12 Reporter Goes Home, Changes at Coast 93.3, ABC-6 Revolving Door, and More
- Media Buzz: Anchor Wanted, More Cumulus Cuts, Is Channel 10 For Sale?, Radio Ratings Winners
- Media Buzz: Help for Hasbro, Doerr heads for the door, Sox $$, Here “Today” Gone Tomorrow?
- Media Buzz: More Bra News, Reporter beats Slap Flap, Bragging Awards out
- Media Buzz: Radio DJ Learns Fate, TV Make-Over, Matt Lauer Makes Channel 10
- Media Buzz: Valicenti, Vieira, & White, Radio Wars and More!