Jenkins Named Chair of United Way of RI’s Women United Group
Saturday, September 30, 2017
United Way of Rhode Island has named Petra Jenkins as its new chair for a two-year term.
Jenkins takes the role from Lisa Guillette.
“I am honored to be named chair of Women United and have the opportunity to help advance the work of a group wholly committed to improving childhood literacy. I truly believe that there is power in numbers, and giving every student the tools they need to learn and succeed is, without question, the best investment we can make in our future,” said Jenkins.
As Account Manager with General Mills, Jenkins calls on a multibillion-dollar company in the wholesale club industry where she helps manage $180 million in sales and oversees the frozen, dairy, and refrigerated portfolios.
In addition to Women United, she is on the Board of the Alliance Francaise de Providence, serves on the Women Ending Hunger Committee of the RI Community Food Bank, and mentors young girls through Foster Forward. She is also past president of the Junior League of RI and has been an active member of the organization since 2003.
Originally from Germany, Jenkins has been a resident of Rhode Island for 20 years and lives on the East Side of Providence with her husband, John.
She holds an MBA from Bryant University and a Bachelor of Arts from the American University of Paris.
Women United is an initiative of UWRI focused on improving childhood literacy and grade-level reading by harnessing the power and strength of women.
The group features 139 local members from every corner of the state—executives and managers, mothers and daughters, co-workers, friends, and neighbors—who commit not only their financial support, but also their time and talents.
Previously, the group was known as the Women’s Leadership Council.
Related Slideshow: United Way Grantees - 2016-2019
- United Way of RI Announces $3.1 Million in Grants to Kick Off New Grant Cycle
- United Way of RI to Host Housing Summit on March 14
- RI Free Clinic Receives $150,000 Grant From United Way of RI
- United Way of RI Presents Awards to Campaign Leaders of Local Companies
- United Way of RI’s Miccoli Selected to National 2-1-1 U.S. Steering Committee
- United Way RI Brings Free Tax Services on Road With 8 Scheduled Events
- United Way of RI Announces $12 Million in Grants to be Awarded From 2016-19
- United Way of Rhode Island and Hasbro Expand Summer Learning Initiative
- United Way of RI Presents Annual Community Awards
- United Way of RI Recognizes Tocqueville Society Members at 30th Anniversary
- United Way of RI Announces Two New Hires and a Staff Promotion
- United Way of RI Awards $155,000 in Grants for Safe, Healthy & Affordable Housing
- United Way of RI Awards $90K in Grants to Olneyville Community
- Journey & United Way 2-1-1 in RI Team to Offer 24 Hour Addiction Call Coverage
- United Way’s Tax Prep Service Comes to Providence in April
- United Way of RI & Books Are Wings Team Up to Host 6th Annual Book Drive
- United Way of RI Calling for Annual Day of Action Volunteers
- United Way of RI Selects 11 Leaders to Executive Director Learning Circle Series
- United Way of RI Announces 20 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Sites
- United Way Announce Major Promotions and Hires – Bennett, Chapman and Tan
- United Way of RI Launching Executive Director Learning Series
- United Way’s Women’s Leadership Council Hosts Forum
- Edesia Founder Salem to Speak at United Way’s Learn With Leaders Event
- United Way of RI’s Women’s Leadership Council Donates Over $116k for Children’s Education