Good News and Bad News for Twin River Out of Massachusetts
Tuesday, March 01, 2016
On the good news side the soap opera of locating a casino outside Boston in Somerville which looked like it was poised to break ground this spring took yet another twist when the developer - Steve Wynn put the project on hold.
The Boston Globe reports, “because of continued objections to a key environmental permit by officials in Somerville, just across the Mystic River from the massive project.
The delay, announced at a press conference featuring dozens of labor groups and two mayors who support the casino, ratchets up the pressure on Mayor Joseph Curtatone of Somerville, who has emerged as the last major holdout against the Wynn casino, and escalates a simmering, high-stakes feud.”
This appears to be just the latest in the chest pounding between casino operator Steve Wynn and Mayor Curatone.
On the bad news sign, Plainridge Casino is showing some signs of rebounding. The Massachusetts slot parlor started off in the summer of 2015 with great fan fair and impressive revenue, but the numbers did not hold.
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission (MGC) reported earlier this month that Plainridge for the the month of January 2016 generated $12,531,140.69 in Gross Gaming Revenue (GGR).
To date, the Commonwealth has collected $49,373,227.47 in total state taxes and race horse assessments from Plainridge Park Casino since its June 24, 2015 opening.
Related Slideshow: How Do Twin River Casino and Plainridge Park Casino Match Up?
With Plainridge Park Casino opening in Plainville, MA, GoLocal looked into how the new facility will measure up against Twin River Casino in Lincoln, RI.
1.) Payout Percentage: How much of each dollar spent is won back by a customer.
Number of Slot Machines
Twin River: 4,500
Plaindridge Park: 1,200
Twin River has nearly four times the number of slot machines that Plainridge Park has available.
Photo courtesy of: Flickr/Raging Wire
Number of Table Games
Twin River: 80
Plaindridge Park: 50
Twin River offers 30 more table options than Plainridge Park, including poker, blackjack, craps, and more.
Photo courtesy of Flickr/Images Money
Twin River: 90.845%
Plaindridge Park: N/A
The data for Plainridge Park will come out in the coming months, but Twin River's customers won back 90.845% of their money in May of 2015.
Photo courtesy of Flickr/Jessie Hodge
Twin River: 300,000
Plaindridge Park: 106,000
Twin River's facility is nearly triple the size of Plainridge Park's and neither is limited to gambling areas.
The former has an event center, a cigar bar, and more. The latter has several restaurants and a horse track.
Number of Hotel Rooms
Twin River: None
Plaindridge Park: None
Neither Twin River or Plainridge Park currently offer hotel accomodations for their customers. Instead, they suggest to search for nearby options.
However, plans to build a hotel at Twin River were approved in March of 2015 by the RI House of Representatives. A date for when construction would be finalized has not been announced.
Number of Restaurants
Twin River: 2
Plaindridge Park: 2
While both facilties offer food court options, each has two prominent dining locations.
Twin River: 2007
Plaindridge Park: 2015
Twin River's grounds were first established when Lincoln Downs was built in 1947. It officially became known as Twin River Casino in March of 2007.
The casino at Plainridge Park has just been finalized, but the facility first opened in 1999 as a racetrack.
Twin River: Twin River Event Center
Plaindridge Park: Revolution 1776 Lounge
Twin River's 29,000 square foot venue will play host to Whitesnake on July 24 and Boz Scaggs on August 1.
The Revolution 1776 Lounge will welcome Thirty 6 Red on June 25, Bon Jersey on June 27, and Shattered on June 28.
Hours of Operation
Twin River: 24/7
Plainridge Park: 24/7
Both casinos are open all day all year long, providing customers with the opportunity to win money at any hour of the day.
- How Do Twin River Casino and Plainridge Park Casino Match Up?
- NEW: Twin River CEO Responds to Plainville Slots Parlor Approval
- Russell Moore: Make Twin River A Destination Resort Casino
- Frampton and the Doobies Rock Twin River
- Shipyard Pub to Open at Twin River this November
- Twin River Casino Explores Hotel Project, Informs Lincoln
- NEW: Twin River Worldwide Holdings to Acquire Casino in Biloxi, MS
- MUSIC: ZZ Top Rocks Twin River
- RI State Report: Twin River, CPR Certification + Drunk-Driving Loophole
- NEW: Twin River to Host Gala to Celebrate Table Games Tonight
- John Hazen White’s LOOKOUT: Rhode Island Needs to Talk Twin River
- NEW: Twin River Casino to Add 14 Table Games, 90 Jobs
- NEW: Newport Anti-Casino Group Responds to Newport Grand Sale to Twin River
- REPORT: FitchRatings Warns of Impact on Twin River
- Twin River Unveils $75 Million Tiverton Proposal
- MA Gaming Commission Chair Says Twin River Has Not Won Yet
- #DSTRONG, Twin River & Pawn Shops: This Week at the State House
- Will Twin River Ruin Tiverton? Is the Oil Refinery Being Revisited?
- Twin River Announces Intention to Move Newport Grand to Tiverton
- BREAKING: Paolino Selling Newport Grand to Twin River Parent Company
- Twin River Announces Acquisition of Newport Grand
- Lean Gov’t, Marijuana, and a Twin River Hotel: This Week at the State House
- Resignations, A Hotel for Twin River, & a “Tip Wage” Rally: This Week at the State House