Get Ready for Retail Carnage in 2018 — It Is Already Beginning
Saturday, January 06, 2018
So far, Macy’s has announced they will fire 5,000 workers and the closure of eleven stores.
Kmart and Sears announced 103 more store closures. It is hard to believe that they had that many stores left after the number of store closure announcements in the past 18 months.
While Rhode Island is still smarting from the loss of Benny’s — and the closure of 31 stores in the region and the loss of more than 700 jobs — that may just be one milestone in the endless, and now ever more inevitable, decline of chain mass market brick and mortar.
Another big loser this holiday was brick-and-mortar retail bookstore chain Barnes and Noble, who reported a 6.4 percent decrease in sales during the 9-week key retail holiday sales period. Barnes and Noble stock was down nearly 14 percent on Friday.
“Unfortunately, the folks who were struggling in 2017, who may have had a good if not a great holiday, are likely to struggle again in 2018 because the fundamental behavior of the customer isn’t going to change,” said Professor Mark Cohen of Columbia University in a piece published by the Wharton School of Business on Friday. “The online business continues to expand at the expense of brick and mortar, and the level of promotion that continues to step up is truly unsustainable for many of the legacy retailers who are engaging in it.”
Overall, retail sales for the holidays were up — a reported 5 percent. But the rich got richer and the distressed fell further behind. Online sales had another banner year — up over 18 percent — consulting group Bain and Company says that Amazon may have captured more than 50 percent of the upswing in spending.
Amazon Crushed All Competitors
“Amazon captured 89 percent of all online holiday spending in the five-week period beginning on Thanksgiving, according to an analysis of credit and debit-card transaction data by Earnest Research in New York. Wal-Mart remained a distant second at 4.4 percent,” according to Financial Post.
The Amazon dominance event attracted a Tweet from President Donald Trump.
Why is the United States Post Office, which is losing many billions of dollars a year, while charging Amazon and others so little to deliver their packages, making Amazon richer and the Post Office dumber and poorer? Should be charging MUCH MORE!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 29, 2017
One Rhode Island Company is Celebrating the Holidays
For one Rhode Island company, fast growing jeweler Luca + Danni, the holiday’s were very cheery. Sales were up both at retail, but especially via online.
Overall, the company saw sales jump 138 percent -- a 21 percent increase at brick-and-mortar and 312% increase online.
"We've focused on creating a digitally native brand based on core values of handcrafted, American made jewelry at an affordable price, “ said Fred Magnanimi, CEO of the Cranston-based brand.
The Future on Route 2 and the Malls?
What will be the impact of the mass retailer store closings on Rhode Island jobs and the economy is an unknown, but all indications are that 2018 and beyond. Consumers are flocking to Amazon’s two day delivery via Prime.
The national job numbers for December showed growth, but not for retailers. “Amid challenges stemming from digital shifts and a wave of store closings, retailers shed about 20,300 jobs in December, with department stores losing 8,200 and general merchandise stores ditching 27,300,” reports the trade magazine Footwear News.
Retailers in 2017, ended the year having announced the closure of approximately 7,000 a dubious record.
Related Slideshow: Retailer Store Closings in U.S. Thru June 2, 2017
Number of Stores Closed: 512
note: Payless is trying to close an additional 296 stores - dependent on negotiations with landlords
Number of Stores Closed: 138
Note: Already Closed its ProvPlace location - that space has been converted to parking
- EDITORIAL: Cicilline Lives in the Past While MA is Adding More Than 2,500 Amazon Jobs
- BIF’s Kaplan Talks Amazon’s Disruption to Supermarkets, New Uber CEO, and #BIF2017
- 7 Reasons Why It’s Smart for Amazon to Select Providence for Second HQ and 50,000 Jobs
- All Benny’s Stores Closing, Amazon Factor Hits RI, 700 Out-of-Work UPDATED
- “Mr. Innovation” Saul Kaplan on Amazon and Whole Foods Merger and Impact on RI
- Business Monday on Golocal LIVE Features Discussion of RI Budget and Amazon-Whole Foods Deal
- Borders Closing: Why We Need the Amazon Tax
- Trump Targets Amazon CEO & Wash Post Owner Jeff Bezos Over Antitrust Claims
- Netflix, Amazon Among the 50 Best Investments of the Last Decade
- Robert Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Amtrak’s Blockage, Fall River’s Amazon, & Clintons in Watch Hill
- Robert Whitcomb: Amazonian Ocean State? Immigration Ambiguities; Block Island Police Logs
- Raimondo Administration Refuses to Answer Questions About Amazon HQ2 Effort
- Saul Kaplan Hopes RI Can Implement Some Amazon HQ2 Ideas Even if We Fail
- CVS and Aetna Worry About UnitedHealth as Well as Amazon
- Did Commerce RI Have Another Iceland Moment in Amazon Proposal?
- Whitcomb: All Bow to Amazon; Mainers Want More Medicaid; Money Underwater; Perfectly Awful Penthouse
- RI Submits Last Minute Amazon HQ2 Proposal, Commerce Refuses to Disclose Incentives
- Is it Good for RI, If Amazon HQ2 Goes to Boston?
- “Retail Prophet” Stephens on Toys “R” Us, Amazon, and More, on GoLocal LIVE
- 17 RI Experts Tell How Rhode Island Can Win Amazon HQ2
- Kaplan “Mr. Innovation” Says Providence Can Compete for Amazon as Part of a Regional Play
- Teamsters File Federal Labor Complaint Against Amazon Partner Pinnacle in RI
- One RI Company on Best Retail Brands in US List
- NEW: RI Blue Cross & Blue Shield to Open Retail Store in Warwick
- Smart Benefits: Health Insurers Go Retail
- NE Retailer Benny’s Thrives Despite No Online Sales
- RISD Students Open Innovative Retail Space in Downcity
- UPDATED: GoGo Cast Lands GTECH - Now Largest Retail TV Network
- “New and Noteworthy” App To Boost Local Supermarkets, Retailers
- RI’s Dead Retail Brands
- Retailers Lose Two of Their Biggest Days to Blizzard
- LaSalle Named Top Retail Bakery in the US
- DeRoche: Patent Trolls Targeting RI Retailers & Main Street Businesses
- BBB Warns Consumers of Online Retailer, shopZoey.com
- EXCLUSIVE: Alex and Ani Lays Off Top Execs - CFO/COO, SVP of Sales, Director of Retail All Out
- Over 200 RI Retailers Have Been Caught Selling Tobacco to Minors Since 2014
- Is Providence Place at Risk? Thousands of Retail Stores Close Across U.S.
- Is Wayland Square the ‘Canary in the Coal’ Mine for the Slow Death of Retail?
- See Which RI Retailers Have Been Fined for Selling Cigarettes to Minors
- Opponents Blast Online Retail Tax for Hurting RI Businesses
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of RI Opens Bristol Retail Location
- Major Retailers’ Thanksgiving Day Shopping Hours
- NEW: Alex and Ani Announces Retail Expansion
- New Balance to Open Retail Location at Garden City Center