Frontier Airlines is Coming to TF Green, Another Big Win for RI Airport
Thursday, May 25, 2017
Frontier, headquartered in Denver, is just the latest big win for Green. Earlier this year, the airport announced direct, full service, year around flights from Providence to Europe with the addition of Norwegian Air.
On the first day 10,000 discounted Norwegian tickets sold out. Since then additional destinations have been announced and fares are now being promoted at $99 each way, direct to Europe from Green.
The initial Frontier routes will provide service between Green and both Denver and Orlando starting August 14. This will be the first time Frontier has flown to PVD offering the only non-stops between the state capitals of Rhode Island and Colorado. It will also be the only Frontier service in New England.
“Frontier Airlines’ selection of Rhode Island for its New England hub is yet another example that T.F. Green Airport is one of America’s best airports,” Governor Gina M. Raimondo said. “We thank Frontier for choosing Rhode Island. Our state is on the move, and Frontier Airlines’ presence at TF Green is one more connection to jobs, businesses and economic opportunity for Rhode Islanders.”
“I join RIAC and the state in welcoming Frontier Airlines to T.F. Green Airport, and I am pleased that they will be offering new routes and service options for travelers. T.F. Green is known for its ideal location and convenience. The runway and facilities investments we have been making over the last several years are helping build on that reputation and really paying off for Rhode Island,” said U.S. Senator Jack Reed.
“The Providence community has already been a wonderful supporter of our new service announcement,” said Daniel Shurz, Senior Vice President – Commercial. “They are as committed as we are to ensuring these new routes will be successful, and we look forward to working with them to achieve that goal.”
Iftikhar Ahmad, President and CEO of the Rhode Island Airport Corporation, said, “We are pleased to welcome Frontier Airlines to T. F. Green Airport (PVD) with these two popular routes. Our business and leisure passengers continually request Denver service, and now they will be able to fly nonstop to Colorado from our airport. The Orlando service provides yet another option for our customers to fly to our top market from Green. We look forward to a great partnership between Frontier and PVD.“
House Majority Leader Joseph Shekarchi said, “I am truly excited that Green Airport is continuing to grow. This is good economic development for the state and the City of Warwick. I look forward to more announcements from the airport in the near future.”
Green also recently launched flights to Cancun.
Following is a summary of the new service:
PROVIDENCE (PVD) – DENVER (DEN)
• F9 837 Depart PVD: 11 a.m. Arrive DEN: 1:42 p.m.
• F9 836 Depart DEN: 1:15 p.m. Arrive PVD: 7:09 p.m.
• Frequency: Daily
• Aircraft: Airbus A320
PROVIDENCE - ORLANDO
• F9 1731 Depart PVD: 7:59 p.m. Arrive MCO: 10:56 p.m.
• F9 1730 Depart MCO: 7:20 a.m. Arrive PVD: 10:10 a.m.
• Frequency: Daily
• Aircraft: Airbus A320
Frontier is offering special introductory fares as low as $39* on these new routes as of today at Flyfrontier.com. Additionally, customers have the choice of adding The WORKSsm bundle to these special sale fares for as low as $59 each way.
Related Slideshow: Seven Things You Need to Know About Norwegian Air
How many jobs will be created?
Initially, 75 Rhode Island-based employees will be hired and that is expected to immediately grow to 200. Additionally, direct jobs tied to the expansion are expected to create another 200.
Included in these first 75 are the flight crews. Pilots on average earn $120,000 to $250,000.
What is the weekly schedule?
• Year-round service to Edinburgh from Providence: Flights will operate on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays starting June 16; Service will be reduced on certain routes during the winter 2017/2018 season.
• Service to Belfast will be twice weekly from Providence as of July 2. Days of operations will change between the summer 2017 and the winter 2017/2018 winter season.
• Service to Dublin from Providence: Flights will operate five weekly flights starting July 2. Days of operations from Providence will change between the summer 2017 and the winter 2017/2018 winter season.
• Service to Shannon from Providence will begin on July 3 with twice-weekly flights. Days of operations will change between the summer 2017 and the winter 2017/2018 winter season.
• Year-round service to Cork from Providence will start on July 1 with three weekly flights. Days of operations will change between the summer 2017 and the winter 2017/2018 winter season.
Why is this such a “game changer” for Rhode Island’s economy?
In the early 1990s, then-Governor Bruce Sundlun envisioned and realized a redevelopment and expansion of T.F. Green. The airport exploded. When Southwest Airlines came, the airport reached new popularity and transformed as a significant alternative to Logan, but over the past few years competition took its toll on Green.
Now, Sundlun's dream and vision of Green being an international hub is becoming real. The airport has the opportunity to be a spark to international tourism and business.
- Can T.F. Green Jump Start the RI Economy?
- Head of Cork, Ireland Airport Talks International Flights from T.F. Green on GoLocal LIVE
- Tourism Officials Fight to Bring Norwegian Air to RI, Langevin and Cicilline Fight Against Airline
- White House’s Spicer: Norwegian Air Expansion is Pro-Jobs, Providence Expansion Pending
- Norwegian Airlines Picks Providence for $69 European Flights, But Trump Has Last Word
- Providence On Short List for Norwegian Air Flights to Ireland for $69 Each Way
- Senate Majority Leader Ruggerio Says Norwegian Air Would Be Boost to RI’s Economy and Jobs
- Langevin Flips and Now Supports Airport’s Position on Norwegian Air in Rhode Island
- EDITORIAL: “Landing Norwegian Air is Rhode Island at Its Finest”
- T.F. Green Announces New Route to Cancun
- Seven Things You Need to Know About Norwegian Air Flights
- T.F. Green Airport to Hold Emergency Preparedness Exercise on Thursday
- FAA Has Approved Norwegian Air for TF Green, $69 Fare to Ireland One Step Closer
- Green Airport - Easy
- BREAKING: Norwegian Air Expands Service To Norway Direct From T.F. Green