Dunkin’ Donuts Center Gets a Little Darker - President Clinton Event Canceled
Wednesday, May 30, 2018
The event was scheduled for June 15th. The building claims, “Due to unforeseen scheduling circumstances this event is being removed from our calendar of current programming. Your tickets will be fully refunded, we apologize for any inconvenience.”
Larry Lepore, General Manager of Dunkin’ Donuts Center refused to respond to a request for comments.
Latest for Dunkin' Donuts Center
According to sources with direct knowledge of the event, it was canceled for lack of ticket sales. One person with direct knowledge said the event was poorly conceived and poorly marketed.
As GoLocal reported earlier in May, after the college graduations, Providence’s premier event venue was slated to host only a food event, a “Conversation with Bill Clinton," and an August appearance by Banda Ms de Sergio Lizarraga. The rest of the summer the building is closed.
Just ten years ago, the Rhode Island Convention Center Authority spent $62 million to upgrade the Dunkin’ Donuts Center with “the creation of 20 new suites, new seating, and upgrades of the existing MEP systems. Additional upgrades include refurbishing and expanding the lobby and concourses, adding concession areas, restrooms and dressing rooms.” The reason for the upgrade was to keep the building competitive with other venues in New England.
Lepore, said in response to multiple questions, "I have been there since 1999 there has been very little concert activity in the summer since the early 1990s."
But a review of previous years found that the building hosted multiple concerts and events each summer. As an example, the Dunk hosted Demi Lovato and American Idol, bull riding and multiple other events in 2010. Most summers, the building hosted multiple attractions.
- Bust Summer for Dunkin’ Donuts Center - TD Garden Has U2, Paul Simon, Eagles and Much More
- Morgan Talks RI Convention Center, Google Money, and Truck Tolls on GoLocal LIVE
- NEW: Dunkin’ Donuts Center Polling Location Evacuated
- PC vs Seton Hall Game Suspended Due to Unplayable Floor Conditions
- RI House GOP Warns of New Convention Center Lease Lessons
- New Security Measures Being Taken at Dunkin’ Donuts & RI Convention Centers
- RI GOP: Convention Center Contracts Warning Sign for PawSox Deal
- RI GOP: $450 Million Spent on Convention Center Red Flag for PawSox Deal