‘Best Cities for Business’ - Where Does Providence Rank in New Study?
Monday, December 20, 2010
Not where we would like it. Providence ranked behind a number of its peers even in New England. According to MarketWatch's rankings, Providence scores right in the middle of the rankings nationally and 5th of eight cities regionally. The study ranked 102 cities and Providence ranked 51st.
For Providence the news was good compared to almost all of the California cites that were clustered at the bottom. Traditional business meccas such as Los Angeles ranked 61, Indianapolis (71), Orlando (79), Tampa (80), and last ranked was Fresno at 102.
The study is based on a range of factors: "MarketWatch looks at the concentration of companies from the Fortune 500, Forbes Private Companies, S&P 500, Russell 2000 and a check of businesses from the U.S. Census Bureau. The census figures can be a bit dated; they’re from 2007 but are the most recent available and give the broadest picture of the actual number of companies within a metro area."
The study also utilized GDP from military and tourism as well as personal income amongst the factors.
PHOTO: Courtesy of John Webber
- Best Communities: Rhode Island Reacts
- The Best Communities in Rhode Island
- Best Community #1: Cranston
- Best Community #2: Foster
- Best Community #3: South Kingstown
- Best Community #4: Glocester
- Best Community #5: Barrington
- Best Primary Night Bars
- Esquire Names Caprio ‘One of Best Dressed’ Candidates
- Best Burgers in Rhode Island
- Best Bars to Watch the World Cup
- Providence 15th Best American City for Singles
- Providence One of the Best Places to Retire
- Providence Restaurant on Esquire’s 20 Best New Restaurants of 2010 List
- The Best Communities: The Big Chart
- The Best Communities: Rhode Islanders Speak Out