ABC6 Plagiarizes GoLocal Investigative Report and Gets Facts Wrong
Monday, July 22, 2013
The GoLocal investigation of the top 25 restaurants was released on Wednesday, July 17. A story citing the same restaurants was released by ABC6 on Friday and listed the same restaurants. The ABC6 rewrite of the GoLocal Investigation made a number of assertions in their report that were factually incorrect.
“GoLocalProv invested time, energy and money to develop a public interest investigative story that reported on the health violations in Providence restaurants. We were extremely careful with reporting the data. ABC6 plagiarized the story. Even worse, in their haste to rewrite the story, it contained statements that are incorrect,” said Josh Fenton, CEO and Co-Founder of GoLocal24, the parent company to GoLocalProv.com.
While much of the research conducted to develop the story was available via public records on the Department of Health’s web site, certain material could not be accessed due to a programing error.
ABC6 Pulls the Story
The story by ABC6, which was removed from the station’s web site after GoLocalProv.com raised concerns and requested a response regarding the plagiarism of the GoLocal investigation.
In an email to Chris Tzianabos, Vice President/General Manager of ABC6, GoLocal requested a response to the plagiarism. Repeated requests to get comment from Tzianabos were unsuccessful.
Also, ABC6 reported: "The restaurant with the least amount of violations, Il fornello, only have 7 health violations including dirty ice dispensers." Again, there were numerous restaurants inspected in the city that had less than 7 violations, and some in fact had no violations.
"GoLocal stories have been picked up by many of the top news organizations, including the New York Times, ESPN, Huffington Post, Politico, CBS Sports, Boston Globe, and many others. It is one thing to be the source for another news organization's work and be cited, but you can't just copy and paste and call it your journalism," said Fenton.
- NEW: ABC6 Hires 3rd News Director in 8 Months
- What New Owners of Channel 6 Need To Do - Analysis
- BREAKING NEWS: Channel 6 Bought by Citadel Communications
- EXCLUSIVE: New Owners of Channel 6 Will Need ABC Approval
- BREAKING NEWS: Steve Doerr Done at Channel 6
- EXCLUSIVE: Layoffs at Channel 6 Start
- Channel 6 General Manager On Ratings, Ken Bell Fate & Changes
- Exclusive: Tempers Flare at Channel 6
- NEW: Channel 6 Anchor Gets Gig Out West
- NEW: ABC6 Explains Where Missing Anchor Has Been
- Updated: At Channel 6 Alexander is Out and Meyers is In