Media Wars: WPRO Launches Promo Using Progressive Blog’s Name
Monday, February 11, 2013
WPRO 630 recently created a sponsored web page emblazoned with the banner “Rhode Island's Future.” The page spotlights a local business and appears to have the mission of positively identifying local, Rhode Island commerce that is flourishing. Beneath the brief framing of a local success are splashed logos of businesses, large and small, that apparently contribute to WPRO 630. Basically, it is an advertisement page within WPRO's Web site.
The revenue driving initiative entitled, “Rhode Island’s Future” is a paid online, on-air sponsorship program. WPRO 630 is owned by the second largest radio group in the United States, Atlanta-based Cumulus. Last year, Cumulus laid off dozens of local staff at WPRO AM, WPRO FM, B101, and HOT106.
Corporate cam up with it
Current owner and editor of RI Future, Bob Plain, when asked about the situation stated “They say imitation is the highest form of flattery but my guess is this was inadvertent. Probably someone from corporate came up with the name who has no idea that Rhode Island's Future has stood for the local left since 2005.” Plain was one of about 20 laid off by WPRO last year.
However, Rhode Island Future is the best known progressive political opinion sites in the state. Founded by political activist Matt Jerzyk – now a member of the City of Providence’s law department. Both NEA union leader, Pat Crowley, and progressive Brian Hull, now a municipal planner in Boston, have previously owned the site.
WPRO's news office did not comment on the Web page. Messages left with several members of the business office, resulted with no comments as of yet as to whether the overlap in names was deliberate, accidental or even possibly infringement.
- BREAKING: Big Cuts at WPRO - Cumulus Axe Starts to Fall
- NEW: WPRO’s DePetro Suspended
- EXCLUSIVE: WPRO Honcho Headed for the Door
- YOU DECIDE: DePetro or Gobeil on WPRO-AM
- Exclusive: Dumping DePetro In Morning Hurting WPRO-AM
- BREAKING: WPRO Hires Doreen Costa
- Exclusive: Major Shake Up at WPRO-AM
- Follow Up: New Boss Walking The Halls At WPRO-AM
- It’s Debate Week - 630 WPRO Features a Key Race Every Day
- NEW: Shakeup at WPRO; Valicenti New Morning Host