The LOOK: 3 Ways to Make People Think You Have a Personal Stylist
Saturday, July 28, 2012
There was a time when a woman would sit in the salon at least once a week for a wash and set, which would allow her to look stylish all week long.
It was an art form known as dressing the hair, which is where we get the word hair dresser. Over time, with the '70s carefree look and the '80s hot roller sets, women would set their own hair at home and spray it to death (Dynasty and Dallas hair). Then, the '90s brought on every way you could wear a ponytail... now this century brings a return to dressing your look.
But there's not enough time for a working mom or working woman in a day to spend 20 to 30 minutes to blow out and maintain a smooth straight or wave do. For celebrities, it's easy--the personal stylist. But for everyone else, we're seeing more women in salons on a weekly basis for their dressing of the hair. Can you make this work so you look like you're styled every day of the week? Here's how.
Three steps to style
1. Get your color and cutting appointments on a bi-weekly schedule: cut week one, rock that blowout week two, color week three, rock that blowout week four... hen you're really only paying for two blowouts a month.
2. After receiving your blowout definitely invest in a dry shampoo. Rene Furter's and Klorane are my faves. You can pick these up at Sephora and they'll help extend your blow out and keep your hair smelling freash and so clean.
3. Pay attention to your dresser—how they hold dryer and brush and what they are using for product. That way, you can copy them to touch up if needed during the week. Remember: Europeans wash their hair once to twice a week, hence the beautiful and thick, shiny hair. We overwash our tresses stateside, so we depend on heavy waxy products to shine and what we think as nourishing is actually dulling and clogging.
Space out your blowouts, and they'll think you've got your own staff!
For more Style coverage, don't miss GoLocalTV, fresh every day at 4pm and on demand 24/7, here.
- The LOOK: Full Hair + How to Get It
- The LOOK: Hair Myths Debunked
- The LOOK: Summer Style Dos + Don’ts
- The LOOK: Looking Good in Stormy Weather
- The LOOK: 3 Looks for This Summer
- The LOOK: Blonde Is Beautiful