Fashion Icon Iris Apfel Coming to Newport on June 22
Thursday, June 15, 2017
RIB & RHEIN later this month.
The cocktail party will take place on Thursday, June 22 and is invitation only.
“We’re so thrilled to welcome Ms. Apfel to Newport and to our store. She epitomizes what we value in fashion today – a distinctive style born out of confidence and grace, with a strong emphasis on individuality. She has been a trendsetter for some 70 years, constantly intrigued by fashion and always remaining at its cutting edge,” said RIB & Rhein owner Thomas Ribeiro.
Also on display at RIB & RHEIN will be the Atelier Swarovski by Lanvin collection.
Born Iris Barrel in Astoria, Queens, New York, Apfel studied art history at New York University and attended art school at the University of Wisconsin.
She started her career working for Women’s Wear Daily and for interior designer, Elinor Johnson.
In 1948, she married Carl Apfel.
Two years later, they launched their textile firm, Old World Weavers and ran it until they retired in 1992. From 1950 to 1992, Iris Apfel took part in several design restoration projects, including work at the White House for nine presidents: Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Clinton.
Apfel, age 95 and now a retired businesswoman, rose to fame in 2005 when the Metropolitan Museum of Art mounted an exhibition celebrating her ability to transform herself into an otherworldly creature through clothes and accessories.
- RIB & Rhein Team With Swarovski for Tea Party Fundraiser Benefiting Newport Art Museum
- Up and Coming Jewelry Designer Kathleen Brughelli
- NEW: Jewelry “World” Comes to Cranston
- Jewelry + Accessories with RI Pride
- Twist Jewelry: More Than Just Eye Candy
- Made in RI: Jessica Ricci Jewelry
- Charmed by Newport Jewelry Company Alex and Ani
- Up Close with Jewelry Designer Nikki Nadeau
- High-End Jewelry Designer Tiffany Peay Rocks Rhode Island
- Haute Tags Puts Social Media + Jewelry Together
- Cinerama Jewelry CEO Ralph Rafaelian Passes
- NEW: Providence Jewelry Company HAVERHILL Launches Successful Kickstarter Campaign
- Luca + Danni: RI’s Amazing New Jewelry Company
- RI Beauty Expert: Weekend Jewelry
- TRENDER: Jewelry Maker Mark Kaplan
- NEW: Brown Opens Continuing Ed Offices in Jewelry District
- Tips for Traveling with Your Fine Jewelry
- LIVE: RI Jewelry Designer Nicole Romano Shows New Handmade Collection