Beauty Insider: Mother’s Day Gifts - Palettes to Make Mom Pretty
Saturday, May 03, 2014
• Chantecaille Save the Bees Eye and Cheek Palette is just too darn cute. Mom will love that 5% of the sale proceeds are donated to the Xerces Society, a group that protects bees and the environment. She’ll also love the beautiful eye shadows, including a pale eye-opening blue. The blush is a gorgeous universal coral that looks great on everyone. Slim and lovely with a cheery bee sculpture on the cover – perfect for her summer rattan tote. Nordstrom.com
• Illamasqua Lipstick Palette is a limited edition of four summer-ready hues for lips. These tropical colors glide on smooth and easy and are highly pigmented. Mom will love every one and she’ll want to take this palette along on her summer day-tripping with Dad. Get ready for your thank you kiss! Sephora.com
• Dior Trianon Makeup Palette – This lovely palette offering from Dior will help Mom pay homage to the splendor of Versailles even if she can’t take that trip to France right now. It features a trio of pastel eyeshadows, deep black eyeliner, and a vibrant blush. She’ll adore the unique feminine bow shape that fits smoothly in her the palm of her hand at summer parties and wedding receptions. Amazon.com
• Tory Burch Divine Bronzer, Blush & Highlighter Palette – Tory Burch is the hottest cosmetic line right now and this bespoke gold and orange compact has three skin-brightening shades pressed together. A single swipe will give Mom the healthy, sun-kissed glow she longs for. It's lightly scented too, with hints of Tory's signature fragrance of mandarin, tuberose and vetiver. Chic and up-to-the-minute means you’ll score points - now Mom really likes you best. Exclusive to Nordstrom.
• Bobbi Brown Pastel Brights Eye Palette is the epitome of warm weather chic with its array of metallic pastels. Moms don’t have to be afraid of frosts when the colors are this sophisticatedly hushed and grown-up. A touch of sweetness to enhance those eyes you love so much. Bobbibrowncosmetics.com
• Two Faced Natural Face Palette is a true multi-tasking compact that has everything to create an effortless no-make-up look. Some Moms prefer natural glow instead of color and this one comes with detailed instruction cards for coverage, highlights, and glow. Sephora.com
Palettes may seem a bit pricey at first glance but their multi-talented ways and beguiling presentations will give Mom plenty to smile about on Mother’s Day.
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: 2013 Gift Guide: Great Gifts for Her
Are you looking to find a memorable gift for that special woman in your life? Why not get her a customizable charm bangle bracelet from Alex and Ani? Bracelets come in either gold or silver, while Alex and Ani offers a nearly endless variety of charms. From spiritual symbols to birthstones, Alex and Ani allows you to pick the charm the best embodies special someone.
Warm her up with a gift of comfort and joy. Check out the vividly hued hats, scarves and gloves at Karol Richardson in Newport. This joyous boutique will find you pondering between eternity scarves and fingerless mitts by Wooden Ships in great crayon colors sure to brighten up her dreary winter day.
Buy it from: Karol Richardson, 24 Washington Sq., Newport
Whether it's a nightgown for Mom or a sexy bra set for sis, a well-crafted piece of lingerie is an utterly luxurious gift. But don't leave yourself off Santa's list. Let a stunning lace chemise find its way into your shopping bag when you search for girly gifts for others. You will get thanks galore on Christmas Eve!
But it from: Deborah Winthrop Lingerie, 424 Thames St., Newport
Who doesn't want a little bling under the tree on Christmas morning? Flatter her with your best-things-come-in-small-packages sensibility and choose something unique from this lovely little shop. Our suggestion would be a gemstone necklace or ring in their signature lollipop colors. It doesn't have to be fancy; just sweet and adorable.
Price: Beginning at $900
Buy it from: Tiffany Peay Jewelry, 3851 Main Rd., Tiverton Four Corners
Think outside the perfume box this year and fete her with a special “niche” fragrance that is out of the ordinary. Mignonette carries Caron perfumes from the old world Paris perfume house. If nothing tickles your fancy, splurge on Caron’s beautiful and extravagant powder puff instead.
Buy it from: Mignonette, 301 Wickenden St., Providence
Farmaesthetics is Rhode Island’s pride and joy as a premier natural skin care line. What we love about it is its greenness, localness, AND sophistication. Show her you understand her needs with their Seasonable Salt Cabinet web special. Make her long winter baths spa-worthy right at home while you take on the kids and their new toys. Or shop their inspiring Newport store and come away with their Big, Beautiful Box of Everything. She may just find a big, beautiful way to thank you!
Price: Bath Salts Gift Set $25; Big Beautiful Box of Everything $275
Buy it from: Farmaesthetics, 114 Bellevue Ave., Newport.
Fanciful Evening Bags
With New Year’s Eve looming, a darling evening bag is a coveted gift. These are not your mother's bags—most are handmade and textural with velvety fabrics, feathers, and sequins. But if you think an unpretentious bag is the chicest, a black envelope of boiled wool with a little tone-on-tone lace lets her get her Chanel on! It will look gorgeous tucked under her arm for that midnight champagne toast.
Buy it from: Blue Hydrangea, Main St., Wickford.
Each holiday season, venerable cosmetic company, Estée Lauder releases their series of limited edition compacts. This year’s array includes several whimsical versions filled with pressed powder or solid perfume. These miniature works of art look like they came from an elegant art museum shop. They will surely captivate her imagination and she just might be found kissing Santa Claus under the tree after the kids are in bed!
Buy it from: Nordstrom, 6 Providence Place, Providence
Luxurious Facial Cream
Enter Roses - not the flowering variety but the bare essence of the thirty roses that go into each tube of Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream. This lush emulsion has a major cult following and for good reasons: the delicate rose fragrance will delight the senses while the cream protects delicate outer skin against harsh winter weather. She’ll toss it in her bag for those outdoor Kennedy Plaza skating sessions. The entire Hauschka celebrity-endorsed line will be a welcome sight under her tree.
Price: Rose Day Cream $42.95
Buy it from: All That Matters, 315 Main St., Wakefield
This gossamer sweater may be the ultimate in plush decadence but what better way to say I love you than to wrap her shoulders in its filaments of sparkly warmth? The neutral grey go-with-anything hue will look party lovely over a winter white dress on New Year’s Eve or with a tank and jeans on the couch before the fire. Wherever you clink your champagne glasses and share that midnight kiss, you’ve given her a piece that will stand the test of time. And isn’t she worth that?
Price: Blissful loveliness for $1,500.
Buy it from: R.G.E., 1775 Bald Hill Rd., Warwick
- Beauty Insider: Luck Be a Lily – Lily of the Valley Spring Beauty
- RI Beauty Insider: The Transformative Power of Lipstick
- Beauty Insider: Polar Vortex Style – Looking Chic in Frigid Cold
- RI Beauty Insider: Three Simple Steps for a Celestial Complexion
- RI Beauty Insider: Eight Easy Ways to Look Great Tonight
- 10 Beauty Buys Under $10
- RI Beauty Insider: Holiday Gift Sets – A Perfect Gift for Her
- Beauty: 6 Easy Steps To Summer-Worthy Legs
- RI Beauty Insider: New Year’s Eve Glamour at Home
- Beauty: Rose-Inspired Beauty Buys For Summer
- RI Beauty Insider: Pedi Nation – Get the Best Pedicure Ever
- Beauty Insider: A Breath of Fresh Air—Adding Spring to Your Style
- RI Beauty Insider: Romantic Valentine’s Day Style
- Beauty Insider: Baby, It’s Cold Outside— Hand Care for Chilly Days
- RI Beauty Insider: Staying Beautiful With Honey