12 to Watch in 2012: Andrea Valentini
Friday, December 30, 2011
The Providence native and RISD graduate has made a serious mark in the crowded and intensely competitive fashion accessories market in her short career, creating that rare thing--a distinctive look that feels truly new, not to mention potentially iconic.
Her signature was set, and the textural bags, which launched officially in 2007 and were dubbed "incredibly chic" by Design Milk magazine, have caught the eye of tastemaker Kanye West and have been featured in the New York Times, the Washington Post, the London FInancial Times, Surface, Dwell, Interior Design magazine and Metropolis.
But what have been a next-level step in coolness was when Valentini was asked to design a custom gift bag for Eric Clapton, who distributed them to participating artists at the Crossroads Guitar Festival last year. And on the runway, she dressed TV star Alex McCord at the New York Foundation of the Arts 40th Anniversary Hall of Fame this year.
But Valentini, whose brand is gaining traction on the national and world stage, continues to nourish the local focus based out of her flagship studio and showroom space at Conley Wharf on Providence's waterfront. Her fabrics are handmade in Rhode Island, and she appears frequently at events to support the local fashion and style communities.
In her leadership of the fashion scene locally and her growing prominence nationally, Valentini is the style-watcher's woman to watch in 2012.
- 12 to Watch in 2012
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Achievement First
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Andrea Valentini
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Ed Cooley
- 12 to Watch in 2012: George Zainyeh
- 12 to Watch in 2012: J. Patrick O’Neill
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Jim Bennett
- 12 to Watch in 2012: John Taylor
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Julie Sygiel
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Libby Kimzey
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Libby Slader
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Matt Jennings
- 12 to Watch in 2012: The Race in Congressional District 1